Concealed Weapons Permit
|Plastic / Photo
|$12.50 - 1 Year
$25.00 - 2 Year
$37.50 - 3 Year
$50.00 - 4 Year
$62.50 - 5 Year
INSTRUCTIONS FOR COMPLETION OF PISTOL PERMIT APPLICATION
Follow the secure link to create an account with a log-on name and password to start the application process required by law for the background check. Fill in the required information for the background check and you will be notified within 30 days of your approval. Payment can be made on-line with a credit or debit card with a service fee. A computer KIOSK is located in our office at 748 Walnut Gate Road, Russellville, AL 35654 and is available for those that desire to pay for their permit in cash or who do not have access to a computer at home or at work. After the application is filed on line at the KIOSK and the background investigation is completed and the permit is approved, we will notify you when it is available for pickup at the 748 Walnut Gate Road, Russellville, AL 35654. You will be notified of your approval by email, text, or automated telephone call. Please bring a valid Alabama Driver's License or Alabama State ID card for verification when you pick-up your permit. We are open Monday through Friday (except holidays) from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. Permits not picked up within 60 days will require reprocessing of the background check.
Those permit holders seeking renewal will be required to also go on-line and create an account under this new Pistol Permit issuing system.
- The question regarding being charged or convicted of any crime DOES include traffic tickets. While it is not required for you to list each one separately, or to have specific years, failure to disclose this information may be grounds for denial of the application.
- "OTHER NAMES" is intended for use for prior last names. Please include any LEGAL names you have used for identification.
- The question "Has your license ever been revoked?" refers to a pistol license, not a driver's license.
No Cost Pistol Permit for Retired Veterans
Alabama legislation HB42 signed by Governor Bentley on 8/30/2016 went into effect on 11/1/2016 and will now allow all retirees from active military duty in the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, Coast Guard of the United States or any reserve or National Guard component, to receive a pistol permit at no cost to the retiree. The following requirements will be necessary to secure this permit:
- Bring proof of military retirement to our office by display of a United States Retired Veteran ID card or a DD-214 Proof of Military Service Form. You must be a resident of Franklin County.
- Upon verification of your retired military service, you will be issued a coupon code to enter in our Pistol Permit website to secure your five-year Pistol Permit at no cost.
- Go to https://franklinal.permitium.com/ccw/start and enter the Pistol Permit application process. If your permit is expired or you are a new applicant, click NEW. If you are a renewal click RENEW. Your application submittal allows us to conduct a background check on you. When prompted to pay, enter the coupon code. There will be no charge for the five-year permit (normal cost is $62.50). Please allow 30 days for the background check to be completed.
- Once notified you have passed the background check, return to our office to be issued a permit. Please bring with you an Alabama Driver's License or state ID card to verify your residence and identity.
- You must renew in person on our kiosk at our office upon expiration to maintain the no cost permit.
Where do I apply for an Alabama state pistol permit?
Follow the secure link to create an account with a log-on name and password to start the application process required by law for the background check . Fill in the required information for the background check and you will be notified within 30 days of your approval. Payment can be made on-line with a credit or debit card with a service fee. A computer KIOSK is located in our office at 748 Walnut Gate Road, Russellville, AL 35654 and is available for those that desire to pay for their permit in cash or who do not have access to a computer at home or at work. After the application is filed on line at the KIOSK and the background investigation is completed and the permit is approved, we will notify you when it is available for pickup at the 748 Walnut Gate Road. You will be notified of your approval by email, text, or automated telephone call.
Click Here to Complete the Online Pistol Permit Application
How long does it take for my pistol permit application to be approved?
If the Sheriff has no knowledge otherwise and/or the background check reflects no reason(s) and the applicant is otherwise legally eligible, the Sheriff "shall" issue the permit within 30 days. The Sheriff's Office will be mailing you written information regarding your pistol permit application if denied. Please allow 30 days to receive this information prior to contacting our office.
Gun Reciprocity Law
NON-RESIDENCE LICENSES Alabama issues concealed handgun licenses only to residents of Alabama, through the sheriff of their county of residence. Currently, Alabama does not issue carry conceal permits to out of state residents.
OTHER STATES Firearm laws can be complex. It is the responsibility of each person holding an Alabama carry conceal permit to check with the state/jurisdiction they are traveling to in order to determine whether that state/jurisdiction honors Alabama's permit and whether there are any restrictions or conditions imposed on persons carrying firearms with out-of-state permits there.
Permit holders are reminded that while carrying a valid concealed handgun in another state, they are bound by that state's law concerning concealed handguns. A permit or license holder from another state shall carry their handgun in compliance with the laws of Alabama while they are in this state.
ALABAMA RECIPROCAL PISTOL PERMIT (CONCEALED CARRY) AGREEMENT WITH THE FOLLOWING STATES:
- New Hampshire
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
HANDGUNS PROHIBITED IN: Mexico and Canada
The State of Alabama recognizes concealed carry pistol licenses or permits issued by other states; however, the carrier must observe all applicable laws while in Alabama. (SEE THE ABOVE LIST). Also, a person may carry or transport a long gun (rifle or shotgun) without a permit. A person may lawfully transport a firearm, including a handgun, from one state in which they are legal to possess to another state without a permit as required under Alabama law, provided the following conditions are met:
- The firearm is unloaded.
- Neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle.
- In case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment, the firearm and ammunition shall be in a locked container other than the glove box or console. Title 18 U.S.C, section 926A
Under Alabama law, no person convicted in this state or elsewhere of a "crime of violence" may own or possess a pistol. Section 13A-11-72. Crimes of violence are defined as murder, manslaughter, rape, assault, robbery, burglary, and kidnapping. No person addicted to drugs or habitually intoxicated may own or possess a pistol. Section 13A-11-72. Any person in violation of Alabama's pistol laws may be arrested and upon conviction, subjected to a term of imprisonment of not more than one year and a fine of not more than $500, or both. The pistol will be seized and may be forfeited by court order.