The Old Franklin County Jail was orginally built in the 1930's and could house 56 inmates. Later a tent was placed in front of the jail building, inside part of the fence area to provide more housing. The tent was then replaced with the Dome structure in September 2000 to comply with the requirements of state and federal laws covering the housing of inmates in small county jails. The county used this jail for all county inmates until the current detention center was opened in March, 2008.
The new Franklin County Detention Center located at 748 Walnut Gate Road, Russellville, AL 35654 opened on March 17, 2008. The Detention Center phone number is 256-332-8425. This facility can house approximately 220 inmates and has on-site medical services provided through Southern Health Partners.
PLEASE SEE INFORMATION BELOW REGARDING:
* INMATE VISITATION * INMATE BONDS * INMATE MAIL & RESTRICTIONS
* INMATE COMMISSARY ACCOUNTS * INMATE PHONE ACCOUNTS
PLEASE NOTICE: The Mike Green Center entrance at the double glass doors of the jail is the entrance for the jail lobby for inmate visitation as well as leaving money on the inmate commissary and inmate phone kiosks.
Visitation hours are Monday - Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. in the video visitation room located in the lobby of the detention center. Inmates are given two (2) FREE thirty (30) minute visits for a total of one (1) hour visitation each week. Once an inmate's free visits have been used, you may visit by paying $7.50 per visit. You should deposit the money into the Telmate kiosk in the lobby of the detention center. Also, if an inmate or entire inmate pod is locked down, inmate visitation may be denied. The booking process can take a while, therefore, new inmates being booked into the jail will not be allowed visitation until the booking process is completed and the inmate is placed in his or her cell. For additional information on Telmate inmate services, visit: www.gettingout.com.
ITEMS ALLOWED TO BE BROUGHT TO AN INMATE:
Once an inmate is booked into the Franklin County Detention Center, they are placed in a holding cell for at least 72 hours. During this period, the inmate is allowed to receive the items listed below:
6 solid white t-shirts
6 solid white pairs of underwear
6 solid white pairs of socks
6 solid white bras (no under wire)
1 solid white towel
1 solid white washcloth
1 tube of toothpaste
1 see-through stick of deodorant
1 see-through bottle of shampoo
1 see-through bottle of body-wash or pack of bar soap
These items will be accepted during the time the inmate is in holding ONLY. Once the inmate is placed into population, they will have to order these items off of commissary. Nothing will be accepted from the outside if the inmate is in general population. All items brought in must be new, unopened, and in original packaging. If it is not listed above, it will not be accepted.
A bond can be made one of three ways:
1. Cash Bond-Pay the total amount of the bond at the clerk’s office, inside the courthouse. Bring a copy of the receipt to the jail. Bond money will be returned to you after sentencing in the case. (The judge has the right to deduct court cost and fines from bond money).
2. Property Bond-Obtain a property assessment printout from the Revenue Commissioners office, inside the courthouse. Bring the property assessment printout to the jail for review. Property must be valued at the total amount of the bond or greater than the total amount of the bond. More than one property assessment can be used to make a bond, in which case the property values will be added together. All people listed on the property assessment must be present to sign the bond.
3. Bail Bondsman-The bonding company must be licensed in Franklin County. Ten percent of the bond should be given to the bondsman.
Bonding agencies licensed in Franklin County: #1 Bail Bonding, 4-A Bail Bonds Inc., Legends Bail Bonds, Northwest Alabama Bail Bonding and Stonecipher Bail Bonding Co.
ALL bonds also require a $35.00 bond-filing fee in the form of a money order. The money order should be made out to the Franklin County Circuit Clerk. This should be given to an officer in the jail during the bonding out process. (Neither cash nor personal checks will be accepted).
For questions concerning bonds, contact the jail at 256-332-8425.
INMATE MAIL & RESTRICTIONS:
Inmate mail must be addressed as follows:
748 Walnut Gate Road
Russellville, AL 35654
Also, make sure inmate mail includes the sender's name and return address. We do not forward inmate mail to other facilities should they receive something after being transfered. Any inmate mail received without the sender's information may be destroyed.
REJECTION OF INMATE MAIL
MAIL WILL BE REJECTED IF IT IS DETERMINED TO BE DETRIMENTAL TO SECURITY, ORDER, OR HEALTH AND WELL-BEING OF THE INMATE. BELOW IS A LIST OF ITEMS THAT IF RECEIVED IN INMATE MAIL WILL RESULT IN REJECTION.
* DO NOT SEND THIRD PARTY LETTERS: INMATES MAY NOT FORWARD LETTERS TO OTHER INMATES CONFINED AT THIS FACILITY OR OTHER PENAL INSTITUTIONS
* DO NOT SEND PERSONAL CHECKS OR CASH (ONLY MONEY ORDERS MADE PAYABLE TO THE INMATE ARE ACCEPTED THROUGH THE MAIL)
* DO NOT SEND BLANK PAPER OR ENVELOPES
* DO NOT SEND PADDED OR BUBBLED ENVELOPES
* DO NOT PUT PERFUME, POWDER, OR COLOGNE ON LETTERS
* DO NOT SEND MAIL CONTAINING BODY FLUIDS OR HAIR
* DO NOT KISS INMATE CORRESPONDENCE
* DO NOT SEND LETTERS OR CARDS WITH GLUE, TAPE, GLITTER, STICKERS OR LABELS
* DO NOT SEND LETTERS THAT ARE STAINED OR EXTREMELY DIRTY
* DO NOT SEND FOOD ITEMS, GUM, OR FOOD LABELS/WRAPPERS
* DO NOT SEND NUDE, PARTIALLY NUDE, OR OTHER OBSCENE PHOTOS OR DRAWINGS
* DO NOT SEND ANYTHING DEPICTING VIOLENCE, SEX OR GANG AFFILIATION
KIMBLE'S COMMISSARY SERVICES-INMATE COMMISSARY:
Kimble’s Commissary Services provides inmate commissary. An account is set up for each inmate after they are booked into the Franklin County Detention Center. The inmate is issued a commissary number. If an inmate has money in their possession during the booking process, the money will be taken and placed into their inmate commissary account. Money can be added to the inmate’s commissary account either by mailing a money order to 748 Walnut Gate Rd. Russellville, AL 35654, by using the commissary kiosk machine located in the lobby of the jail or online. The commissary kiosk is a touch screen machine. When using the kiosk machine, you should enter the inmate’s name and follow the directions on the screen. To add money to an inmate’s commissary account online go to www.jailatm.com and click on Sign In at the top right of the screen. Follow the prompts to create an account with an email. A confirmation email will be sent to you that includes a link to follow to log in. Enter your account password to log in. Click Commissary or Gift Packs. From drop down, choose State –Alabama, Facility-Franklin County Sheriff’s Office, Inmate Name, Search. Add amount by continuing with payment by credit/debit card. You may use this site to add money to the inmate’s commissary account or purchase gift packs. The selections for Inmate Email and Video Call are not available at this facility.
When ordering commissary, inmates have the option to order snacks, personal hygiene items, stationary items including stamped envelopes and some clothing items. Inmates place commissary orders on Tuesday and receive their orders on Wednesday.
TELMATE COMMUNICATIONS-INMATE PHONE SERVICES:
The inmate phone system is provided by Telmate. (1-866-516-0115). An account is set up for each inmate once they are booked into the Franklin County Detention Center. The inmate will receive a six-digit pin code associated with their personal phone account. This pin code should be kept confidential; it is the responsibility of the inmate to protect his or her account. Money can be added to the inmate’s account either by phone, using a credit card, online at www.telmate.com, or by using the Telmate kiosk machine located in the lobby of the jail. The Telmate kiosk is a touch screen machine. When using the Telmate kiosk machine, you will be asked to either log in or to set up an account if you are a new user. You will need your drivers license to do this. The Telmate kiosk will accept cash or credit cards. The Telmate kiosk has a customer service phone attached to the side of the machine should you encounter any problems or visit: www.gettingout.com.